New Moon Meaning
The moon is magickal, beautiful, and highly spiritual! Modern mystics all over the world look up to the night sky in awe, working in tune with the moon’s energy to manifest and cast spells. Incorporating moon magic into your daily, weekly, and/or monthly spiritual practice is easy. And it’s definitely a gateway to other magickal practices.
The New Moon is the part of the moon phases where the moon appears to be completely invisible in the sky. Also known as the Dark Moon. During this phase, there is no light from the sun being reflected off the moon, therefore, the sky appears moonless for a few days every month.
Spiritually, the New Moon marks the beginning of the moon cycle. This is the time of the month is ideal for setting intentions and goals for the next few weeks. The energy is perfect for manifesting something magnificent!
Intuitively, we all feel the energy around us shift as the moon passes through its phases. Harnessing that energy can strengthen our intuition, deepen our spirituality, and improve our manifesting skills. In this blog post, we’ll go over easy, and effective ways to work in tune with New Moon energy.
Related Article – Full Moon Spiritual Meaning
New Moon Intentions
Who doesn’t love a fresh start? New Moon energy feels like a fresh garden bed, ready for brand new seeds to be planted. Setting intentions each month can give us direction, focus, and purpose, renewing our sense of passion.
Spiritually, New Moon intentions are like promises we make to ourselves and the Universe. They’re like goals, but they are more ambiguous and in the realm of personal growth.
For example, a goal could be “Meditate every day for thirty days.” While an intention could be “Listen more closely to my intuition while meditating.” The difference is subtle. Goals and intentions work together beautifully.
With New Moon intentions, think of them as spiritual promises you make to yourself. Use your intention as an anchor in your daily life. Always return to your intention when things get derailed or you start to feel lost.
New Moon Intention Examples
- Practice gratitude by finding something good about every day
- Let go of what doesn’t serve (anger, resentment, greed, etc.)
- Give back to the community every day somehow
- Live in the here and now by quieting the inner voice
- Move more slowly and with ease through daily tasks
- Be at peace with whatever has transpired
- Amicably accept whatever comes, release resistance
- Give permission to rest and relax when needed
Choosing your intention is highly personal, intuitive, and specific to you. It takes a bit of practice to find what resonates, so try to avoid putting pressure on yourself. The purpose of setting a New Moon intention is to give yourself a bit of spiritual structure to your day/week/month. It acts as a starting point and a source of inspiration.
To learn more about how to set New Moon intentions, keep on reading!
New Moon Ritual
The best part about spiritual rituals is that they can be as simple or as complicated as you like. But what I don’t want is for you to create limiting beliefs around spiritual rituals. Like if you believe you need certain props, or circumstances, or anything else you don’t have right now, you might not do any sort of ritual at all.
Everyone has their own style of ritual they love to do. Especially with something as personal as setting New Moon intentions. Some mystics live for a monthly ceremony filled with totems, chants, poems, and more. Others, like myself, prefer to keep things simple but just as symbolic.
If you wanted to make your New Moon intention extra potent, you could align it with the zodiac. There are twelve signs, so each year the New Moon occurs in each sign at least once. This isn’t necessary, but it adds an extra layer of meaning to your spiritual ritual. A quick internet search will tell you which sign the New Moon is in this month, then just refer to this astrology blog post to learn more about that sign.
Use the following example ritual as a starting point for your own New Moon intention setting. Embellish as much or as little as you’d like. You’ll only need thirty minutes to effectively set intentions. The key elements to a successful New Moon ritual are setting intentions for the upcoming cycle, then living by those intentions:
- Gather any supplies you need before starting. Your cleansing tool of choice, crystals that call to you, your divination tool of choice, a journal, a nice pen, and a candle.
- Cleanse your aura and your meditation space. Do this with smoke, sound, or visualization. Learn more here.
- Meditation. Light your candle and get into your preferred meditation position. Set out your crystals near the candle if you have them. Spend at least ten minutes relaxing your mind and body.
- Time to journal. Take a few minutes to think about what you want to blossom in your life over the next four weeks. Date your journal entry. Be honest, gentle, and realistic with yourself.
- Divination practice. If you would like guidance from Spirit, now is a great time to pull a tarot card or use a pendulum. Use the guidance you receive to help you decide how you will go about embodying your intention.
- Create a unique affirmation. Based on your intention and the guidance you received, write a special mantra that will serve as your “official” intention. Return to this mantra whenever you need to during this moon cycle.
- Meditate on your intention. Take a few more minutes to let your intention and guidance sink into your soul.
- Close with purpose. Blow out your candle, give thanks to your Spirit Guides and to yourself. Put your intention some place you’ll be reminded of it daily.
Related Article – Astrology for Beginners
New Moon Magic
I hope you feel inspired to practice a bit of magic (or magick!) during the next New Moon! Don’t let the formality of a “moon ritual” intimidate you or stop you from starting. Also, don’t be too hard on yourself if you don’t have a moon ritual every single month. Your spiritual practice is your own. Always follow your intuition and meet yourself where you are. Thank you for reading!